Student Enrollment and Registration

Thank you for your interest in Shelby Public Schools. Below you will find how to enroll your child into Shelby Public Schools. If you have any questions please feel free to call (231) 861-5211 ext. 2104


Shelby Public Schools Enrollment is based on residency. If you are unsure of which school your child will attend, check out our Locate My School to see our school boundaries and figure out your child’s school, or contact the Administration Building at (231) 861-5211 ext. 2104

For your enrollment packet to be reviewed, specific documents must be included. 

Student Documents:

  • Birth Certificate

  • Up-to-date Immunization Record Health Appraisal Form

  • Individual Education Plan (IEP), if special services are required

  • If possible last report card from the previous school when enrolling your student in elementary or middle school. For high school students, an unofficial transcript is required in compliance with Michigan State Law.

Proof of Residency

Three (3) pieces of identification showing proof of residency are required. The student must be living with a parent, or court guardianship papers must be presented. Foster Parents must provide a Foster Care License Number. Proof of residency may include any of the following:

  • Driver's License

  • Voter Registration Card

  • Utility Bill

  • Purchase, Lease, or Rental Agreement

  • Bank Deposit Slip

  • Canceled Check with your address

  • Other mail sent to your residence (not junk mail)

Incoming Kindergartners must be five years old on or before September 1, 2023.

Parents need to fill out a Kindergarten Waiver (see link below) if their child will turn 5 between September 2 and December 1.

Exception: According to Michigan Law, a child may be enrolled in kindergarten if he/she is not five years of age on September 1, 2023, but will be five years of age not later than December 1, 2023, and a parent or legal guardian notifies the school district in writing (Kindergarten Waiver Form) that he or she intends to enroll the child in kindergarten.

Preschool enrollment

Please note, pre-enrollment is not required if applying for: Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) or Head Start. A separate packet for Preschool enrollment is necessary and available in the Early Childhood Center's office. Please email or call 231-861-6629 for more information.

School of Choice Application

The School of Choice window is open from June 10 to August 16, 2024. Please complete the form and send it to Hiedi Michael at If you do not have access to a printer, please contact Hiedi Michael via email at or by phone at (231) 861-5211.

School of Choice - Printable

School of Choice - Fillable/Printable

School of Choice - Google Form